Welcome to the William H. Taft Driver Education website. Throughout this site you will find a wealth of knowledge on how the program works and functions year round. We look forward to a safe 2018-2019 driving year.
Classroom Coordinator: Shereena Lewis
Behind the Wheel Coordinator (BTW): Gilberto Arroyo
Email: Click on STAFF link at right.
Hours of Operation 2018-2019 School Year:
· Monday through Thursday: 3:30PM – 5:30PM
· Saturday: 8:00AM – 1:30PM
· 2018 Summer Hours
o 7/9/18 through 8/16/18
o Mondays through Thursdays 7AM-12:30PM
William H. Taft High School Students
William H. Taft High School offers a prevalent ten week drivers education program in the classroom as part of the sophomore Physical Education curriculum. Once a student passes the classroom phase, the student will then be given behind the wheel (BTW) range/simulation dates based on their classroom grade. Students must have enough credits to earn sophomore status, not be failing more than one class during a semester, not incur a level 4 or 5 discipline infraction, not exhibit behavioral issues that impede the learning process, and have a 90% attendance rate throughout the school year; in order to receive range/simulation (BTW). The comprehensive program includes three phases; classroom instruction (which is needed as a graduation requirement for all CPS students), range/simulation and traffic. Range/simulation and traffic are offered throughout the school year on the following times and dates barring any holidays and/or unforeseen CPS observances:
· Monday through Wednesday: 3:30PM – 5:30PM
o 8:00AM – 9:30AM
o 10:00AM – 11:30AM
o 12:00PM – 1:30PM
· 2018 Summer Hours as follows:
o 7/9/18 through 8/16/18
o Mondays through Thursdays
o 7:00AM – 8:30AM
o 9:00AM – 10:30AM
o 11:00AM – 12:30PM Non Taft students can also enroll in our program. Please read the information below for more details.
Non-Taft Student Spring/Summer 2019 Classroom Registration
Registration for the Spring/Summer courses will take place on the following dates and times at Taft High School. Please enter through the main entrance.
Registration: Mondays – April 8th, April 29th and May 6th from 3pm-4:30pm.
Spring Classroom Session I –May 13, 2019-June 13, 2019 Monday-Thursday 4pm-5:30pm
Summer Classroom Session II – July 8, 2019 – August 2, 2019 Monday-Friday 7am-8:30am
Summer Classroom Session III – July 8, 2019 – August 2, 2019 Monday-Friday 8:30am-10am
Please review all other documentation that will be necessary to bring on the days of registration below.
NON - Taft Student registration takes place in room 140. Please enter through the main entrance. Please understand that this will be the only time you may register the student for classroom sessions. This is a 30 hour state mandated course and to meet this requirement, students are allotted one missed day of class. If there are further inquiries please email Ms. Lewis. For behind-the-wheel registrations email Mr. Arroyo.
NON - Taft Students must be an enrolled high school sophomore and needs to bring the following:
- Their most recent high school transcript/semester report card
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate.
Parents need to bring:
- A valid state ID or Drivers License that matches transcript address (must be a Chicago address).
- We do not accept cash.
- CPS charges a $50 fee for Behind the Wheel Instruction. This fee must be paid through the Illinois E-Pay website by credit card or electronic check.
- Visit www.illinois.EPAY.com (link at right) and then click "Make a Payment" and type in the student's legal name, "Board of Education City of Chicago" and follow the prompts. CPS payments cannot be accepted at Taft. Payments may also be made over the phone at 1-866-831-5240 if you do not have access to the internet. Please send confirmation of payment to Ms. Lewis via the STAFF link at right.
- Parents of non-Taft Students need to bring an additional $50 MONEY ORDER made payable to TAFT HIGH SCHOOL. This is the non-refundable instructional fee.