Please be aware that, according to CPS policy, there are six acceptable causes of student absence:
- Death in the immediate family
- Family emergency (must explain)
- Observance of religious holidays
- Circumstances which cause reasonable concern for the safety or health of the student (on a case by case basis)
- Other situations beyond the control of the student (on a case by case basis)
Students who are absent for any other reason are considered truant.
When a student is to be or has been absent from school, there is no need for the parent to phone the school to report that absence. To Report an Excused Absence:
Parents must submit a note (NOT an email)
explaining the absence IMMEDIATELY UPON THE STUDENT'S RETURN.
Any notes submitted after two weeks from the date of the absence will not be accepted and the absence will remain unexcused. This note should include the student's name and homeroom (division), the date(s) of absence, the reason for the absence, and the parent's name and contact information. This is the only one way to report an absence. Absence notes from parents may be submitted to the Attendance Office (room 171) by the student upon his/her return to school.The absence notes will be verified by Attendance Office staff as needed. Also, please feel free to contact us via the Staff link at right or by phone at (773) 534-1005 with any attendance related questions.
To Arrange an Early Dismissal
- When a child needs to leave school early, the parent must visit the Attendance Office and sign the child out. Attendance Office staff will then arrange to get the child out of class.
- Early dismissal of students does not need to be arranged in advance.
- Taft can only release a student to the custody of his/her legal guardians (w/photo ID), unless an alternative person (w/photo ID) has been previously arranged on the "Emergency Information form" by the guardian.
- If the student is returning to school on that day, there is no need for the parent to accompany the child into the building. However, the student should report to the Attendance Office immediately upon their return - BEFORE returning to class.
Additional Notes on Attendance
- Students must request class teacher approval before participating in any activity during division or class time. Deviations from this policy require prior approval of the principal.
- Students are expected to be on time for classes, division, and lunch. Tardiness will result in disciplinary action.
- Students who become ill during the school day must obtain an Early Dismissal from the Attendance Office. Students will be released to a parent/guardian with a photo I.D. only. Students cannot leave the school building during the day without an official release.
- Students who are in any place other than their assigned classes or their assigned lunch period are considered truant and may be subject to disciplinary action.